Tomcat 8 Installation - Linux Environment

Jan Bothmann shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I know you have guide on how to install Yellowfin on a Tomcat 8 installation in a Windows environment (see attached file)

Would it be possible to acquire the same guide but for a Linux environment.

Best regards

J.Bothmann

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Jan,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. In looking at the attached guide and the steps being taken, it would appear this guide is centered on the process of upgrading Tomcat for an installed version of Yellowfin. I would be happy to help you with guided instructions, however it would be helpful if you could verify what you're wanting to accomplish.

Are you trying to install Yellowfin into an existing Application Server, trying to upgrade the included Tomcat, or trying to install Yellowfin as a fresh install?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

Im in the process of setting up yellowfin cluster. So i have 3 newly created Ubuntu 16.04.2 LT servers, 2 with Tomcat 8 installed, and 1 with mysql. I would like to make a fresh installation of Yellowfin using the existing Tomcat installation, instead of the one shipped with yellowfin.

Regards

Jan

photo

Hello Jan,

I do have a Community article detailing the process of installing Yellowfin into an external application server. It's written as more of a general guide that covers both Tomcat and OAS. You can have a look at the article here and see if it's of help to you. If you see any improvements I can make to the article, any feedback is much appreciated.

Does this article help?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

I just read the guide, it is as you said "more of a general guide" but it seems pretty straightforward, so i think ill give it a go.

Thanks,

Jan

photo

Hi Jan,

Keep me updated on your results. I look forward to hearing them.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

I did follow the linked guide and the result is as follows:

When i try to start Yellowfin from Tomcat Web Application Manager i get the following error.

- FAIL - Application at context path /yellowfin could not be started

And catalina.out gives me this:

SEVERE: Parse error in application web.xml file at file:/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/yellowfin/WEB-INF/web.xml

java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not resolve XML resource [null] with public ID [null], system ID [file:/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/yellowfin/WEB-INF/web-jsps.xml] and base URI [file:/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/yellowfin/WEB-INF/web.xml] to a known, local entity.

But editing the context.xml as follows:

<Context>

to

<Context reloadable="true" xmlBlockExternal="false">

Seemed to do the trick...

Regards

Jan Bothmann

photo

Hi Jan,

I'm glad the guide was helpful. Thanks for your feedback, I'm not sure how I forgot to add the Context step! I'll make sure I add that in the guide. It sounds like you were able to get this up and going so I'll go ahead and mark this as Answered. If have further questions or issues, don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file