Search Content very slow

Guilherme Freitas shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hello,

When we search for content in the browse, Yellowfin is taking 10 to 20 minutes to open the screen (the attached screen takes 10-20 minutes to open).

The next time you access the browse it normalizes and the runtime is in seconds.

Is there any way to reduce the first run time?

We also realize that the more content we develop, the slower the search becomes.

Best Regards

Replies (6)

photo

Hello,

The search response time is dependent on a few factors:

RAM, CPU speed and some configuration settings

Can you let us know how much RAM you have assigned to this system (and Yellowfin)

How many reports and dashboards do you have on this system?

Are you browsing all objects, or just reports?

Once we have this information, we can give you suggested settings to help improve performance.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello,

We have 514 reports and 25 dashboards.

The configuration we have in the Yellowfin installation is:

Application Server:

-Processors: 8

-Memory: 12GB

- Operating System: Windows Server 2012

-Memory Java: 10GB

Yellowfin Database:

-Memory: 12GB

-Operating System: Centos 7

-Database: MySQL

DW Database:

-Memory: 20GB

-Operating System: Centos 7

-Database: HP Vertica 8

-3 Clusters

Is the current configuration enough for the best BI performance?

Best Regards,

Guilherme

photo

What is a reasonable configuration setting?

photo

I have the same problem in my yellowfin BI, i use the same configuration that Guilherme.

photo

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response!

We have an article that covers some aspects of tuning on your system.

It should especially help where you have large numbers of reports:

http://community.yellowfin.bi/knowledge-base/article/what-is-event-caching-and-how-can-i-adjust-it

Please take a look and see if these changes make an impact on your system.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello

I had read the article and adjusted the Yellowfin cache parameterization.

I am sending the information I got from the http: //server/info_cache.jsp page and the config.xml file for analysis.

photo

Hello,

Has adjusting any of these settings made improvements to the browse on it's initial run or is it still taking a very long time?

If it is, we need to do further research and make changes to the system.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi,

The slowness presented in the system is already with the changes in the config.xml file that we sent in the previous attachment.

Before applying the changes to the config.xml file we were unable to work on the application.

Best Regards

photo

Hello,

There are some other options you can look at increasing to help improve browse performance:

ReportDefinitionCacheSize and ReportDefinitionCacheTimeout

I would suggest the following settigns based on your available memory:

ReportDefinitionCacheSize = 15000

ReportDefinitionCacheTimeout = 86400000 * 2

And if it's available in your version:

DashboardDefinitionCacheSize: 15000

DashboardDefinitionCacheTimeout: 86400000 * 2

Further information about these tunables can be found here:

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/YFForum-Yellowfin-Internal-Cache-Options-thread-125296

I hope this helps,

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello Pete,

I made the changes you suggested in the config.xml file, but did not improve the content search.

Searching for something that is not in cache is still slow, and our content production is very high (we will probably exceed 1000 reports with the development of the next projects we are working on).

Best regards

photo

Hello Guilherme,

I would say that you are going to be system bound at this time, the system while it has adequate RAM for normal operation, is struggling to keep the relevant references in memory to make this system run at a sensible speed.

I will ask some of my more knowledgable colleagues to see if they can offer any further suggestions about setting changes that would benefit you.

Best regards,

Pete

photo
photo

Hello,

I have been having a chat to my colleagues and we would like you to try our infothreadrunner application to help gather further info for us:

http://community.yellowfin.bi/knowledge-base/article/infothreadrunner

I'd like you to run the software for 10 minutes with a 6 second interval (should be 100 snapshots)

then attach the results to this ticket.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello

As requested, I am sending the attachments the files generated by InfoThreadRunner_2.

I ran for 10 minutes and tested open panels and perform content search.

Best Regards,

Guilherme

photo

Hello Guilherme,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We'll take a look at the output and let you know what we find and what suggestions we can make.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello Guilherme,

It looks like most of the 10 minutes of those logs is taken up with caching report and dashboard definitions as they haven't been filled (or they are expired and are refreshing)

We have a jsp file (attached) that you can run which will pre-populate the cache to hopefully remove this slowness.

If this is run before users get to the browse screen, they won't experience the slow loading.

rename the file and remove the .xxx from the file name

I hope this helps,

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello Pete,

Should I put the file you have uploaded to a specific folder?

To run the file, just call it by the path http://localhost:8080/ws_warm_cache.jsp?

Best Regards

Guilherme

photo

Hi Guilherme,

The file should be put into:

[yellowfin install directory]/webapps/ROOT

you can then access it as you suggested on http://localhost:8080/ws_warm_cache.jsp

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Pete,

I performed the test you requested. However, it does not seem to have much effect.

To open the first dashboard I have in my user it took 3 minutes to submit the reports.

To check content is taking something around 30 seconds (This point has improved considerably).

Best regards

Guilherme

photo

Hello Pete,

I am resubmitting the files generated by InfoThreadRunner_2 to assist in your analysis. The files were generated after running ws_warm_cache.jsp.

photo
photo

Hello Guilherme,

we just need to clarify where you a now seeing slowness issues!

From your comments, the browse page is running successfully, however, you seem to have an issue with the speed of the report loading within a dashboard?

Is this correct?

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello Pete,

Yes, we are now experiencing slowness in the execution of the panels. The browse has improved considerably.

The reports, when run individually, are performing well (averaging 1 seconds), but when running the reports on the dashboard the time to display the dashboard is 4 minutes on average (the dashboard has about 40 reports).

Best Regards,

Guilherme

photo

Hi Guilherme,

Wow! 40 reports on a single dashboard is a lot!

As you add more reports, the time for the rendering of these reports can increase dramatically,

We would usually suggest breaking those reports out to multiple tabs - is this possible here?

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Pete,

What would be the optimal number of reports per tab?

Can I use sub-tabs to separate reports? Or does it have to be separate tabs?

Best regards

Guilherme

photo

Hello,

I would suggest separate tabes over subtabs as the subtabs will still tried to be loaded at the same time.

We would usually recommend upto 10 reports, however, it depends on the reports!

Tuning this kind of setup is difficult to predict where there will be speed drops or increases, it's mostly trial and error due to many variables.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Pete,

Thanks for the help, all the questions have been resolved.

Guilherme

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file