Drilldown / Drillthrough behavior within Javascript Charts in 7.3+

Stephen Short shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I've been exploring the newly added Javascripts Charts functionality introduced in version 7.3+ to see how we might want to use it for future development, as well as gauging any limitations, and was wondering - is there any exposed API for triggering a drilldown / drillthrough from a javascript chart into a Yellowfin native chart?

I've been able to get normal drill behavior working from the Yellowfin-native query results table that displays alongside a custom visualization, but what I'm wondering is if there's currently any way to do something like:

1. From a custom visualization (for example, a bar chart created using the Highcharts library), I can add onclick events to specific chart elements. From this onclick event I am able to get whatever relevant filtering information I'd need in order to perform an explicit drilldown into another chart. Of course, there's nothing preventing me from adding this onclick handler as far as I can tell.

2. From the context I build from that event, I could theoretically pass that into an API if one was exposed, and should be able to provide the same level of information from a normal drill event (i.e. I can grab the required data to pass into the filter requirements for the drilldown).

Is anything like that currently possible within this framework?

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Stephen,

While it will definitely be possible to drill through to the JS chart (as the filters are applied prior to charting it will work in the normal fashion), there is no easy way to achieve either one of the goals you are seeking.

I think your idea of passing webserivce calls from the JS code is quite interesting, but I do not have a ton of time to mess around with this. If I get some time over the course of the next week I will give this a try.

One thought on an alternative here:

You can do a lot of post-processing in JS. By including nearly a whole view worth of data in one report, you can make several JS charts within a single chart by adding them into different areas of the provided div. As the various charts will all be contained within the same code, the objects will be accessible to each other and you can manually set up a drilling functionality here. There are several libraries that allow for drilling, and I have attached an example of one of these in ski-team.

Sorry for the inconvenience here and I will let you know if I have any luck with the webservice idea.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Stephen,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file